My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #268

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets and tuba.

This piece has only one function: that is to contrast two versus three. In case you’re interested, the two is in the horns and tuba and the three in trumpets. It works out OK. It doesn’t require a lot of fixing like that three-headed thing I did back in the 230s. This tune works. And there are no retrogrades, palindromes or turn-arounds – those are all the same thing. Although I’m not a huge fan of the quarter-note triplets that end many of the trumpets’ phrases (and Finale doesn’t play them back very well, either), but the whole point is to run three against two, or two against three, depending on your point of view. So here we are, breaking out of the incremental palindrome mold (don’t worry, the palindromes/retrogrades will return), but this has its own merits. Please enjoy. That’s why it’s here. I write for an audience; I just have no idea whether I have one.

No comments: