My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

Project 300: 4/19/07-3/6/08

It's done. It almost drove me completely nuts, but it doesn't matter now. In 323 days, I managed to write 301 pieces whose total running time clocks in somewhere between 12 and 13 hours. I'm very pleased with some of the results (see: The Best) and disappointed and embarrassed by others (see: The Worst), but I'm overjoyed that even at my darkest hour, I didn't give up. Sure, I thought about it lots of times, but there was something that always urged me to keep going. Besides, what else was I going to do? I mean, I'm just this impoverished, unemployed guy who lives in the scummiest part of Belltown and hopes that he can someday make a living writing music. There wasn't anything else for me to do but write music in this drafty, cluttered apartment. Although being a professional composer might not come to pass, it's comforting to know that I have the chops to do it, should the opportunity present itself.

It's been a few days since I finished #300, and as sick as I was of the project, I'm anxious to embark on something new. I don't know what that might be. I think I might "stay small" and write some daily piano pieces - not 300 of them, but enough to total a few hours worth of music. I'll have time to decide that in the coming weeks. I'll be taking off soon to drive across the country. Hopefully, by the time I return, I will once again be hearing that dull roar between my ears that will eventually become my next set of pieces.

I realize that nobody reads this blog or listens to my pieces, but that doesn't diminish the joy I feel at having concluded this massive venture.

No comments: