My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #151

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

To celebrate the historic midpoint, I took two days off. It's the most time I’ve taken off since I began this whole mess. I’ve taken a day here, a day there, but never two days in a row. By day two, I began to get all these ideas in my head out of nowhere, so I guess I’ve become quite accustomed to the pace. But I was still thinking mostly about #150 and how differently it would sound with conventional harmony. I set to straightening it out and filling in all the gaps. It wasn’t that much of a challenge. In fact, it seemed a little too easy. Some parts, particularly the trio, hardly needed to be changed at all. OK, so it doesn’t sound too different from the original, but there’s a little less dissonance, the harmony is a bit denser and the horn countermelody in the last A section works better. So there you have it. Maybe it's an improvement, maybe not. You be the judge.

No comments: