My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #258

For 3 horns, 1 trumpet and tuba.

I seem to be hitting some kind of wall here. It’s not the first time it’s happened, but I’m really at a loss as to what I should write. It’s a really terrible feeling to be this far along in the process and have absolutely no idea what to do. I mean, I’ve gotten this far almost completely on my own (with only a little subject matter help from my friend Kris) and to be blocked like this is a little distressing. These days, I should be writing roaring stuff like #242 or wild experiments like #253, but this piece and the previous one seem excessively simple in comparison. There’s no sliding tonality, no energy, and nothing to distinguish it from a raft of other stuff that I’ve done. Plus, both pieces are in 7 - #257 was in 7/4; this one’s in 7/8. What’s going on here?? Can I be running so dry on ideas that I’ll be forced to limp across the finish line with a bunch of bland pieces? Gosh, I hope not. I’ve found that identifying the problem is the beginning of the solution. Something usually comes along to solve the dilemma. I can only hope that it will. No, I don’t think this piece is terrible; it’s really quite pleasant, especially in the B section with the tuba. I would have been happy to write it 100 pieces ago, but I’ve evolved past that. So I’m upset that it couldn’t distinguish itself. I’ll try to figure out what to do for tomorrow. It may take some heavy thought or it may just come to me out of the blue.

No comments: