My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #205

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 3 trombones and tuba.

I had only a rhythmic idea for today’s piece. Here it is with a few modifications. What originally happened was that the rhythm was uniform, but when I played it back, it sounded far too bouncy. Now, I have nothing against things that bounce, but it didn’t have a place in this piece. I wanted to have this extended spacey melody floating above a sustained rhythm. The over-bounciness didn’t serve that intent very well, so all I did was make the first measure’s figure come in a half-beat earlier. That’s all. To contrast that, the B theme has a little more flow. I felt that it was long enough so that I could reprise the A theme right after it without having it sound like pure laziness on my part. I’m kind of glad that it all works out. My hopes were not high for this piece when I started it. After all, I only had a rhythmic motif in mind and not even one that was viable in its original form. But honestly, this turns out fine. It’s not one of my best, but it joins a large group of mid-grade pieces that have become the dividing point between good and bad.

No comments: