My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #233

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone and tuba.

Well, Christmas is over and I still have a lot of music to write. Today’s premise features two things: alternating meters of 3/4 and 7/8 and non-diatonic chords pointing the way for the melody. That’s exactly what goes on. Plus, the horns get to do more rhythmic stuff in the B section. Funny thing once again, it’s strikingly similar in form to #223 and #225. Again, I didn’t do this intentionally; it just happened that way. But I like how this piece turned out. Yes, the melodic line is a little awkward, but I wanted to emphasize its weird metrical scheme. I hope that by the end, everybody’s used to the jerky movement. I know I was, but I was writing it. I get used to things like that because I listen to them about a hundred times before I finalize any given piece. This isn’t always the ideal way to do things, because it sometimes acclimates me to mistakes. I listen over and over again and only notice a blatant error when I look at the score. How’s that for eternal artistic vigilance? Well, I can safely say that this piece doesn’t have any major technical flaws, so enjoy.

No comments: