My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #165

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

Once again I find myself without any good ideas of what to do today. On top of that, there’s much football to watch. Somewhere in the lull between games, I figured that I’d write something in 5/4 in E-flat major with a certain feel to it. (In this case, "certain" means "I'll know it when I hear it, but otherwise, I don't have the slightest idea.") I got to work. This is what popped out. I’m really pleasantly surprised by the results. It’s kind of odd that it manages to sound so dour while remaining in a major key for the duration. It makes the odd sound ordinary, the ordinary odd, and if you listen to it three times, the tune will stick in your head, and it’s a whole three minutes long. Not bad for somebody who was trying to invoke traditional gypsy curses against the hated Dallas Cowboys. I’m so very glad that they lost. Anyhow, all of this goes to show that fine pieces come out of nowhere. And this is one of the finest I’ve penned so far.

No comments: