My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #252

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

I was completely devoid of inspiration for this one, so I decided to write a demented waltz. It’s been ages since I’ve attempted something like it. Yeah, the mix isn’t too good here. The trombones are booming and the horns are a little too quiet. Buy besides that, I pull off some pretty tricky stuff in the middle. The intro and A theme play out normally, but the B and C themes get a little daffy. Instead of just lining them up one after the other, I start the C theme in the trombone while the B theme is still going on in the horn. This is exactly the sort of formal barrier that I’ve been trying to break down. It causes confusion and a little uncertainty, but it emerges into its own after just a few bars. The rest of the piece proceeds normally with the repeat of the A theme (with a horn countermelody, as usual) and ends without incident. If I hadn’t merged those two themes, this piece wouldn’t have any special significance to me. But I’m so glad I was able to do something to spice things up. Hooray for me…

No comments: