My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #162

For 2 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones and tuba.

This is my hymn to freedom! I decided to write my own main title film music. Yeah, it sounds big and it did take me quite a long time to get this down (the ensemble is pretty large, so more notes to write), but it was a joy. Pieces like this really make poverty tolerable. If I can, in my state of semi-squalor, produce something like this every so often, then I'm the happiest boy in Belltown. OK, it was my intention to write something rugged that contained an updated form of Americana - sort of like a modernized Elmer Bernstein score. I went in thinking that the key success lay in open intervals and much loudness. Well, I was half right. Loud serves this piece well, but even for something that’s only three minutes long, some variety is needed. That’s why the second theme in the trumpets not only uses closer harmony, it also hits on some weirder tonality. The third theme in the trombone contrasts that with a single voice that later gets backed up and harmonized with some semi-different tonality, to boot. I leave it to you to figure out. The last part is the original theme returning with a few differences (there must always be differences; otherwise, you’re just copy/pasting and that’s just downright lazy and embarrassing, even if you’re trying to write a rather ungodly amount of music per day), followed by the super-cool ending. So there you have it; three contrasting themes and much bigness. All in all, I think this is one of the best pieces of the series. Yes, once again, it isn’t anything ground-breaking or whatnot, but it manages to sound really good, pardon my hubris. Have a listen.

No comments: