My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #183

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

Well, here we are back to our regular programming. To be quite honest, I can’t recall exactly how this piece came about. Like with many predecessors, I just began writing and hoped for the best. This is how it turned out. There is a strange processional quality to the intro and the A theme, but that dissipates by the B section. I figured that I needed to thin out the textures. The C theme in the horns was just for laughs. The first three sections work well. I’m not completely sold on the reprise of the A theme. The countermelody sounds almighty clunky. Since the section is repeated (once with the horns and trombones playing the tune, then with the trumpets finishing things off), it gets to sound clunky twice. I’m not sure how to remedy the problem. Maybe it’s all a question of volume and registration. The trumpets are in a higher register, so the oddball aspects of the countermelody line seem even odder. I’ll have to give this some thought and start changing some notes – maybe. Other than that, it’s a good result considering that I had no idea for what I was going to do when I started out.

No comments: