My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #175

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone and tuba.

Although it may not sound like it, this is part of the aforementioned jazz kick. OK, so it doesn’t swing and it sounds like your garden-variety brass chorale with a trumpet lead. Not so! This is actually a 12-bar minor blues dolled up to resemble a brass chorale with trumpet lead. The only thing that gives it away in the first part of the piece is the peculiar phrasing. Hey, the thing is a 12-bar blues. It’s important that it be 12 bars long. When you’re dealing with a melody that doesn’t embrace traditional blues phrasing, the form will sound a bit strange. When the horn takes over, there is a more familiar feel to it, due to some familiar melodic tricks. The trumpet returns with its theme to a different accompaniment and then we’re done. Because of time constraints I wasn’t able to expand on this concept, but I’m keeping this practice in mind for future projects.

No comments: