My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #177

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone and tuba.

To make matters worse, my girlfriend’s favorite fish also died. He had been ill for a few weeks, but I’m still pretty sad about the whole thing. I know that the comparison between a goldfish and two great guys isn’t really valid, but Leon was a fine little fellow who seemed to possess an actual personality. He recognized people and was very friendly. I decided to mourn all three at the same time. I wrote this piece as a sort of “elegiac overture.” My approach to an elegy is that it shouldn't necessarily convey a sense of grief or loss, but more of a feeling of absence. The trumpet offers some searching phrases and the ensemble does the rest. Since I'm trying to infuse this piece with some profound feeling, it's difficult to judge it. I've let some time pass and I still don't know whether it gets across its intent.

Something also worth mentioning is that I went ahead and ordered Finale 2008 today. I should have it in a week. With all of these passings, I figured it was time to put some cash down on an update, because I could, y’know, die before I had a chance to try out the newest upgrade. So it’s done now. I sincerely hope that it doesn’t suck.

No comments: