My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #221

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 3 trombones and tuba.

This project is getting difficult. OK, it was never easy, but I find myself getting a little burnt out. I’ve felt this way previously, but it always went away once I figured out a new (for me) approach or a better way to do business with the brass ensemble. Unfortunately, the last piece I really had strongly positive feelings about was #207. That little gem just came from nowhere. I felt like I could keep adding to it until I dropped from exhaustion. It was an amazing experience. Since then, it’s been tough. The ideas aren’t there and the execution is a little lax. Instead of pursuing a more difficult and time-consuming notion, I find myself choosing the path of least resistance. In so many previous works, there are a lot of gosh-gee-whiz moments that define the piece. I never know when they’re going to hit, but I’m always glad when they do. They have been conspicuously absent for nearly the last two weeks. I don’t know what’s wrong. Maybe I need to write another march. That always seems to get me right with my musical Jesus. With that said, though, I’m happy with what happens here in #221. My original idea was a minor-key chorale with a horn lead and lots of ninths. It didn’t turn out quite as I expected, but it’s OK. There are no gosh-gee-whiz moments, but that’s fine. Better yet, it gives me an idea for tomorrow’s piece. If you’ll allow me, I’m going to borrow the trombone part from this tune to build that one. Hey, everybody steals. If you steal from yourself, all the better. So, to sum up: I’m burnt out, it’s Christmas time, the weather is terrible (I spend much of my day shivering) and this project is hard. I’m off to housesit for my parents. See you tomorrow.

No comments: