My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #219

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

For this piece, I wanted to 1) have it in 7/8, and; 2) give it a strong eighth-note pulse. That’s about all I was aiming for. Sometimes I start a piece with far less in mind and it turns out great. This one is merely OK. No, I wasn’t trying to channel Gabrieli as in #116, #117 and #139. This turned out as it did, because I was unable to steer it in any other direction. Still, it’s not bad, but I realize that I may be entering a slump. My last really good piece was #214 and it seems like I wrote that decades ago. On top of that, I’m still suffering from some kind of malaise. I think I might be burning out on the project. I don’t feel like I’m hitting new territory as I did 100 pieces ago. Plus, it’s been really gloomy for the last month, which, as much as I hate to admit it, drags on my mood. On top of that, I’m too poor to heat my crummy apartment during the day and my computer is next to a drafty window, so I usually end a piece as quickly as I can because I’m shivering like a Chihuahua. That’s not exactly a recipe for skilled crafting of music. But if this project has taught me anything, it’s the value of patience and grim perseverance, so I’m ready to be patient and grimly persevere until something good happens. I mean, I’m already into this wacky scheme for 219 pieces, what’s another 81?

No comments: