My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #223

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

I opted to write a nice little thingamajob in 7/8 for today’s effort. Never mind that my last foray into 7/8 was only #219. This is a different approach. If anything, it resembles #197, a piece that I wrote and forgot about. Although I had nothing against using a standard form in this, I didn’t want to be lazy about it. In recent pieces, I’ve written longish A sections, shortish B sections and reprised the A again with few alterations and that’s been the whole tune. That hasn’t pleased me much, but it does fulfill the project’s criteria. So for this one, I have an intro, an ABA as the main section, a C theme in the horn, then a little creeping transition between the trumpet and tuba (we'll call it a D section), then a reprise of the original ABA with a countermelody in the horn. This comes off nicely, though it’s nothing revolutionary. I was just happy to step outside the expedient forms that I usually use. I guess that my frustration with the limitations of writing two-some-minute pieces is beginning to have some productive results.

No comments: