My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #193

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

OK, this effort is much better than that of the previous day. It’s no secret that I like triple meters, whether it’s 3/4, 6/8 or 9/8. Since I’ve already given 6/8 its due many times, I decided to combine 3/4 with 9/8. Both have served me well in the past individually, but this was a chance for them to operate in tandem. I really didn’t want a waltz feel to this piece, so I put in some dotted rhythms for the intro. This alarmed me a little bit, as it tends to sound like a sports highlight soundtrack, but luckily, it only lasts until the trumpet enters. So here we have alternating measures of 3/4 and 9/8 throughout in the midst of a large intro-A1BA2 form. I’m really happy with how things went. I got to write something peppy, I give a fun section to the trombone and I get to screw with the form a little by reprising the end of the B section in the A2. You’ll notice that things sound a little crunchy when both A sections end. That’s intentional. I thought this piece needed some rough edges and there they are!

No comments: