My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #213

For 1 horn, 1 trombone and tuba.

Once more, I’m lacking inspiration, so I just choose some instruments and get going. It’s been a while since I featured trombone glissandi in a piece, so I decided to include a lot of those and involve all three instruments in a lot of interplay. I wasn’t going to base this around some kind of memorable tune, but instead use melodic fragments to keep things lively. For a little contrast, I wrote up a little quasi-fugal section and worked back to the original fragmentary melody. The whole thing works well enough. For the millionth time, this should sound much better and (and a lot quirkier) with real musicians playing it, as the glissandi in the trombone are a poor facsimile. But it adds up nicely even as a robo-track. And finally, let it be known that I really liked writing this piece. I seldom experience what I did with #212. That was a fluke to the extreme.

No comments: