My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #194

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

My success with the alternating time signatures got me to thinking: what would #193 sound like if the whole thing was in 9/8? Well, here it is! Funny thing, to my ear, it sounds very similar. Sure the 3/4 bars did sound a little hurried, but this version still has an oddball flavor to it. Since I don’t want to make it appear that I’m just coasting along by making minor revisions to existing tunes, I decided to introduce a C theme in the horn and revise the ending a little. Well, I’m sorry to say that it doesn’t add that much to anything, but it does manage to confound the form a little more by making it: intro-A1BA2CA3. So my curiosity was satisfied. My question to you is whether there’s much of a difference between the two. And which is the better version? My vote is with #193, though this one is not without its charms.

No comments: