My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #220

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

I had a pretty good idea for today’s tune: I was going to make the trumpet the least important member of the ensemble. This is what it sounds like. Instead of blasting out the melody, the trumpet takes care of the oom in the A section (the horns cover the pah part of the equation) and it only contributes to rhythm and chording in the B section. There isn’t a C. That’s probably because I was so cold after a got the B together, I just opted for a reprise of the A and called it a day. That’s right, I didn’t press it any further because I was cold. I put on a sweater, but it didn’t help. Anyhow, I’m happy with this piece nevertheless. It conforms to my original criteria (should be at least two minutes long and express a coherent musical thought) and doesn’t sound terrible. But it’s a little more expedient than I’d like it to be. It unwinds its themes, recaps and ends. There was room for a lot more here, but, hey, I was shivering, so I brought things to a close and retreated to a pile of blankets until it was time to turn on the heat. I’ll try a lot harder when it’s not so friggin cold out, I promise.

No comments: