My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #146

For 3 horns, 3 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

OK, here’s what went wrong wrong: I thought that I could execute a Bitches Brew-like off-kilter funk number with a large ensemble. The problem is that the textures are way too thick for that to happen. This is what you get instead. I don’t feature any percussion, so that adds to the confusion. I did actually feature a few tempo changes, which is a rarity for this project, I realize. I don’t know whether it adds to anything. But I’m trying. I'm really ambilvalent about this piece, because the salvage operation on it worked to a certain extent. It's just that I had a very specific sound in my head and my attempts to bring it to the page were a complete bust. I like it much better when the process goes: sounds in head, notes on page, finished product in under four hours, glass of wine. This piece went: sounds in head, crap on page, damage control, desperation, unsatisfactory finished product in just under four hours, can of beer. Well, every near-disaster is an educational experience. This one taught me that I should steer clear of all things Bitches Brew.

No comments: