My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #235

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone and tuba.

Ah, the oddball chorale – the last refuge for an idea-deprived scoundrel like myself! Yes, I admit it; I’m still trying to recapture the accidental magic of #102. Lord, I really created a monster there! It’s far worse than #12. That piece was dynamite, but I was completely unable to figure out what went right in it. Every so often, I’d take a stab at it until I hit #202 and #211. Those were the next steps in the minimalism process. I’m not sure that #102 has a next step. This might be it; it might not. But even after I’ve accused myself of self-plagiarism, I have to say that there is a lot of good stuff that happens here. It’s dark, dramatic and restless. Plus, it gets some real motion in it towards the end. It will sound great in the hands of live musicians. Yes, I know that I’ve said that probably about 50 times already, but this time, I really mean it.

No comments: