My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #149

For 1 horn and 2 trumpets.

I'm working again today, I kept the ensemble small and returned to an approach I first tried in #13. That time, it didn’t turn out so hot. It would have been much better if brass players didn’t have to breathe. Even though this isn’t the best piece in the bunch, I still like it much more than #13. It’s probably because I know what I’m doing now. Back then, confusion was all-pervasive. In fact, it ruled my thinking up until the forties. Since then, with the exception of a few real dogs, my writing has been much better. If I can’t think of anything solid (as was the case today), I select instruments, time signature and key and start writing, confident that something worthwhile will result. And it usually does. Once again, I’m really encouraged with how this turned out under work conditions.

No comments: