My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #160

For 3 horns, 1 trumpet and tuba.

I'm working again and unable to think of anything to write. It’s happened many times before. Sometimes I emerge with crap and other times, I produce something competent. This probably belongs in the latter category, I’m happy to say. I mean, if it sucked powerfully, I’d say so, honest I would! Gone are the days when I could cut my losses, put a brass chorale on paper as quickly as possible, have everybody play quietly and try to figure out what I would write the next day. Things aren’t that simple any more. Since #102, I’ve been able to approach the chorale in a completely different way. That piece featured a gradual buildup of tension then a release but not a resolution. This piece strives for the same effect. I also try to keep the trumpet as low as possible at all times. It doesn’t always have to shriek out at full volume all the time. I know that it might come as a surprise to some of you trumpet players. I’ve got to say that I really like how this turned out. Sure, it’s not the most innovative piece ever written, but it’s got a great consonance-to-dissonance ratio, a lot of aforementioned tension and some glacial chord movement. Golly, it’s really hard to write about music! I can't fully describe what goes on in any piece very well. Just listen and evaluate for yourself.

No comments: