My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #256

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet and tuba.

I had not the least idea of what I should do today. I mean, I’ve been idea-deprived before, but not like this. I mean, I was drawing a complete blank. It just may indicate that the tank is empty. But, funny thing, whenever I feel like that, it generally means that great things are approaching. I felt like that many times when I was writing Mackris v. O’Reilly, but I got through it with some very nice results. Of course, it helped that I knew exactly how the ending would go months before I got to it. Today, it was a different story. There was this void in my thoughts when I tried to think of what to write. But there’s a difference between thinking and doing, so I just picked a time signature (alternating 6/8 and 5/8) and started writing. This piece is in two basic parts; the first is the unison exchange between the horn and tuba and the second is when the accompanying parts move around. Yeah, it’s just that simple. To mix things up a bit, I pass the tune around the ensemble. And that’s how you make a piece out of nothing. Considering how little I had to go on, I’m really satisfied with how this turned out.

No comments: