My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #249

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

I’m still sick… Jeez, when will it end?? If anything, I feel even worse than the day before. But this project also lingers, so I gave myself an ultra-simple assignment for today’s piece: write a slow, diatonic tune for a large ensemble in AABA form. That’s exactly what you get, folks! It’s in the very somber key of D minor and, if you listen closely, you’ll notice that it stays that way for the tune’s rather short duration. I managed to finish it in between naps and bouts of stomach cramps. I guess that was my greatest accomplishment of the day. This piece simple in the extreme, but I’m not ashamed of it. If anything, it shows that I can write under even the worst conditions – and believe me, I feel just awful. So hooray for me, I finished something each of the three days that I’ve been under the weather. That’s something, isn’t it? I mean, if I ever get a film gig (that’s a big EVER), I’ll have to do the same thing, so it’s good that I’m getting my practice in now.

No comments: