My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #260

For 3 horns, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

I wanted to use the palindrome effect on a larger group, more expansive tune and I wanted to write a different kind of melody to see what would happen. The entire intro, A section and B section go by with nothing special except a cascading melody between the trumpet and the horn. This differs from the previous day’s short motifs. The B section is just an exchange between the trumpet and the horns. From the end of the B section to the end is a palindrome of the A section and the intro, with added commentary from the trumpet and horn. I’m not exactly sure whether I like this piece. There’s something about it that doesn’t sit quite right. Like with #259, I had to change some note values in the horn on the reverse, but other than that, it’s the genuine article. Regardless of how I feel about this, I’m still very excited about this whole palindrome dealie.

No comments: