My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #251

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets and 2 trombones.

I took Sunday off to watch the football playoffs (all the right teams won) and came back on Monday in fine form. It’s been a very long time since I channeled Gabrieli. Though it wasn’t my intention to mimic him today, I did want to borrow the “brass choir” concept and run with it. So I pit a horn, a trumpet and a trombone against their counterparts and made a piece. What you get is motifs combining and clashing until everything somewhat resolves in the end. I wasn’t thinking about a form for this, so it was something of a relief that I didn’t have to deal with my formal conundrum for at least one day. There’s something I really like about this tune that I can’t really put my finger on. I guess whatever I was striving for worked. The only trouble is that I can’t exactly remember what I was trying to get across. Isn’t that weird? I finished this piece a little more than a week ago and I can’t remember what I was trying to do! The important thing is that I like it. You don’t have to, but I really do.

No comments: