My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #226

For 4 horns.

Here’s a little close-harmony something-or-other for four horns. I didn’t have any kind of theoretical or formal ideas for it; I just wanted to capture the horns at their most horn-like. The French horn is a great instrument. It’s got that distinctive sound and it can be hellacious to play. Fortunately, this piece isn’t all that taxing. The thing about this track is that it’s not very well blended. All horns are playing at the exact same dynamic level, whereas with a live ensemble, the first and fourth horn would probably be playing slightly louder to frame the action. Still, you get the idea of what the piece is about. It’s about horns.

No comments: