My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #230

For 3 horns, 2 trumpet and tuba.

With all the fine contrapuntal stuff that went on in #227 and #228, I figured I give it another try, this time using swing. It’s not a full on fugue, but one thing’s for sure, it’s really dissonant. I think it contributes to the effect. We start with the subject, which is carried by two pairs of trumpets and horns. It comes up again and again and is treated differently each time. The tuba and third horn only provide commentary and harmonic support. After the first run-through the entry for the parts is reversed. That’s followed by a bridge section for a little variety. Next up is a merging of parts that culminates in the last time through where everybody plays their parts together. This is probably the most dissonant part of the piece and it works really well. As I was writing this, I didn’t worry about how the parts interacted with each other as I did in #228. I just wanted lines intersecting with other lines. If they went well together, fine; if they clashed, all the better. So yes, there is a lot of clashing in this tune and it makes me glad

No comments: