My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #218

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

OK, #217 was meant to be an inversion/part swap of #216, but things went terribly awry. This is that promised inversion – with a few modifications. For one thing, I swapped the horn and trombone parts and the trumpet and tuba parts. Since the tuba’s walking part sounded retarded in the trumpet, I just doubled them up. And I slowed everything down to give the trombones a chance at the soli in the middle. How did it turn out? Well, I should have just stuck with #216 and moved on. This isn’t at all better. I didn’t think it would be. It sounds like there’s a lot more wrong stuff going on than in the original. But I knew there would come a day when I’d offer an almost full-on inversion of a tune. Here it is and it ain’t that great. I’m just glad my association with #216 is over. Sure, it’s ultimately turned out to be an OK piece, but was it really worth two more iterations? Maybe not.

No comments: