My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #197

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

Lacking any better ideas, I decided to write a pleasant little number in 7/8. And here it is! The form on this one is a little curious. The A section is actually a mini-AABA song form, then the real B section follows, then the C and finally back to the A at its midpoint. Does that make any sense? Writing about music is difficult. Even laying out a piece’s basic form can result in a muddle. I apologize for any confusion. Anyhow, this tune is pretty inoffensive. It’s a nice diatonic Ab for quite a while. You can tell the exact instant when I got tired of staying in the same key, because that’s where the harmonic adventures start. But soon we’re back to safe’n’secure Ab. And that’s all I can really tell you. This piece is yet another example of me writing something and completely forgetting about it. I mean, what with #190 and #195 recently behind me and the landmark of #200 up ahead, it’s an easy thing to do. But I do like this tune. It just doesn’t distinguish itself. The big question is: could I have written this kind of piece a month ago? I’m not sure. Probably not. The melody and the harmony, maybe, but the phrasing and the form, definitely not. And there you have it.

No comments: