My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #241

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

This piece began with a simple diatonic tune and went in a weird direction. OK, so, I start with the most vanilla melody imaginable and just kick the harmony up a half step for eight bars, then kick it down a half step for the next eight. That’s the whole premise. Well, it changes a little in the B section with the horn. Instead of the harmony ascending, it descends a half step every measure for eight measures, then ascends over the last eight, so it’s the same principle working in the opposite direction. Sounds pretty odd, don’t it? Writing this was a blast. The only thing I had to be careful of was to keep the A and B themes within the normal ranges of the trumpet and horn. This meant that the tunes couldn’t have too many leaps in them. That’s all I needed in order to sustain the thing. Although very simple in form (intro-ABA-outro), it ranks as one of my better experiments. It totally works. And yes, I’m aware that other guys have done similar stuff, but this one’s mine, so therefore I like it best.

No comments: