My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #201

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet and tuba.

It had been a while since I’d tried something with a lot of counterpoint. I intended to write a minor-key fugue, but this is what came out. The main theme comes and goes, only returning after all those unison passages and sequences. Yes, there’s a good deal of counterpoint going on, but those unison passages provide a nice contrast. Overall, it’s pretty bland, but it chugs along nicely and really lets you know what its themes are, because they get repeated a lot. But everybody gets their say in this piece. Well, except maybe for the second horn. When I listen to this tune against earlier contrapuntal efforts, I see that I’ve come a long way, but the formality of the fugue usually trips me up. This is no exception. When I was in college, there was never much emphasis on counterpoint and I regret that they didn’t force that stuff down our throats. Oh well, I’m learning it now. One thing that I noticed once I'd finished is that the principle theme sounds a little like "Sorftly as in a Morning Sunrise." At least to me it does. Well, it's a little late to do anything about it now, but just know that I'm aware of it.

No comments: