My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #234

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone and tuba.

It’s been a while since I wrote a nice little block-chord thing, so I decided that today would be the day for it. Once I got started, I realized that all the zippy stuff I was writing might become pretty taxing for the trombone, so I decided to make it the lead voice. I’m still all about messing with form. But this tune doesn’t have anything resembling that, so I wanted to do my messing at a more organic level. Basically, I give the trombone a bit of the theme and then have an adventure with the ensemble, bring back the theme, featuring more of it, take off in another direction and continue that until we finally have the whole theme at the end. I really like this piece. It is, as I mentioned, zippy and fun – it’s exactly the opposite of how I feel now. I’m more freezing and lethargic. I feel that this project will never end and that I will never-ever be able to earn a living in music. Yes, it’s a very gloomy prognosis. But it’s nice that this piece roused me from my shivering stupor.

No comments: