My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #259

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet and tuba.

Problem solved! Well, at least for the moment. I thought of something that I haven’t done yet – a palindrome. It’s just what you think it is: a tune that goes on for a time, then reverses itself and tries to sound halfway normal. Although it seems like it would be a breeze (I mean, you only have to write half a piece), there is a lot of planning to it. For this one, I use short motifs instead of full-on melodies and try to keep the instruments in contact with each other as much as possible. This is how the first effort turned out. I had to make just a few changes to the horn’s note values on the reverse, but otherwise, it holds up well. I’m very excited about this approach, so I am determined to over-use it till I’m totally sick to death of it.

No comments: