My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #181 (One More for Leon)

For 1 trumpet, 1 trombone and tuba.

Unlike Uncle Buff and Ray, Leon doesn’t have many to mourn his passing. There’s only me and my girlfriend. His departure has been tough on her. She cared for him during his two years on this earth and tended to him in his declining days. This is another small jazz number. It’s a little starker and more barren than #178. But I think it does a better job at conveying a sense of loss, as it sounds like there should be another instrument in there somewhere. The muted trumpet also works very well in this small setup. Like with just about every piece I’ve written so far, this tune will sound fantastic with a little nuanced playing. I say that a lot, but this time, I extra-specially mean it.

No comments: