My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #157

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 3 trombones and tuba.

It's been a long time since I’d written a totally blatant waltz – ages, in fact. This one went very smoothly until I noticed that it was pretty bland. That’s when I decided to hand over the show to the trombones. I got to give them some cascading lines and then some power. They get the A theme the last time through while the horn and trumpet deal out a countermelody. That’s what saves the whole shebang from irredeemable plainness. Other than that, I don’t have anything strong feelings about the piece. I'm just glad I could visit waltz territory and make it out alive.

No comments: