My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #240

For 1 horn, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

Well, I’m glad to be done with that whole #236-237-239 business. I decided to write something in lovely 9/8, but really didn’t have many ideas how to bring it into being. After a little tinkering, I thought that I should involve some dotted rhythms and some cool formal weirdness. And that’s just what happens. The main part, which is once again an AABA form, establishes a nice driving feel. The C theme is more of an interlude from the low brass. (There isn't much in the way of thematic material there.) The horn comes in with the D theme, which co-opts the intro and expands it with the trumpets coming in the second time through. This is the part that doesn’t have me completely sold. But the mixed-up AABA comes back with the second trumpet playing a semi-countermelody and that makes us all forget about that one weak part. So yes, I’m really happy with this piece and see no reason to redo it.

But honestly, this is a fine tune. The accompaniment really pops and it rocks quite a bit, but in the light of what's coming up, it doesn't compare. Stay tuned for that.

No comments: