My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #217

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

OK, I apologize for this. I’ve written 217 pieces so far, and all except this one are playable by humans. This is absolutely impossible to play. See, I was feeling a little disappointed with #216 and my friend Kris suggested that I invert it to see if the results were any better. Well, Finale’s inversion tool is pretty stupid. It’ll just invert things without regard to their register, so the lower the instrument, say tuba, the higher it turns out in inversion. For this iteration, I wanted to give the tuba the melody. That’s the really squeaky thing you hear above everyone else. It’s a tuba. Everybody else is playing super-high as well. You can just about distinguish the horns from the trombones, but just barely, because they’re both up in the stratosphere. So this is what Finale gave me for an inversion. It sounded so crazy that I thought I’d speed it up and keep it. So yes, I’m aware that it’s impossible to play, but I’ve got to have some fun occasionally, and this is the time. My apologies once again.

No comments: