My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #185

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

A long time ago – I think it was #30 or #31 or something – I'm too lazy to look for it - I tried to write a minuet. The effort was kind of a failure, because I wanted the ensemble to sound like a classical orchestra and that didn’t happen, so a salvage operation ensued. Still, the piece didn’t completely suck, because I took it in a different direction. For this one, I wanted to revisit the concept. This time it turns out much better. OK, so it’s not a true minuet, but it’s close enough. Anyhow, the A theme is nothing to write home about, but it does set the mood, and it returns two more times. The same can be said of the B theme (except that it doesn't return), but real money section is the last one. The octave lines between the trumpet and the tuba work really well and lead nicely back to the rather simple A theme. I’m happy with how it turned out, but it’s far from perfect. Maybe I’ll give the form another whirl before I hit #300.

No comments: