My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #169

For 3 horns, 2 trombones and tuba.

I had no good ideas for today’s piece, so I just decided to write something and see what turned up. The key was G minor and the primary effect was cascade. This turned out OK. The horns lead at the beginning, the first trombone takes over and the horns reprise. This ensemble format works well in minor key, but the trombone sound seems to confound things. Finale doesn’t seem to recognize that trombones can sound good and clear below middle C. I know differently. I once played trombone (it cost me a whole $10 and had a bent slide) for a few golden weeks in high school for the Cascade Youth Symphony and I found a way to make it sound good with my limited skills, so it is possible. I just didn’t possess the dedication to stick with it until I understood all the jokes people made about trombone players. It would take another 14 years before I discovered my instrument, the tenor saxophone, which has its share of detractors, most of whom are pianists. But that is neither here nor there. This piece works because it tries to steer clear of brass’ inherent power in favor of the very effective cascade. I hope I don’t over-use it, if I haven’t already. I’m happy with it, so have a listen.

No comments: