My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #203

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba.

Every so often when I’m thinking of a subject for the day’s piece, I try to combine a few terms that will yield something good. For today’s work, I chose to mix ninths with a latin feel. So there you go, “ninths” and “latin.” That’s all I started with. I sat down and got to work. I’m pleased with the result. The basic workings of the accompaniment has the tonal chord at the beginning of the two-bar pattern contrasted with a rather clunky ninth chord in the middle of that and ended with a harmonic transition to the next two-bar statement. You’ll also notice that a lot of sevenths sneak their way into things along the way. Since the basic ABA form didn‘t offer enough variety, I added a C theme with a horn and more terse rhythm that still churns out those sour-sounding ninths. Instead, it’s all about being in a minor key and that’s it. Once it’s over, the B theme takes over, leading to the last A theme and the ending. Again, this tune would sound great with live players, but the robo-track ain’t so bad. It’s just that the accompaniment is a little out of balance. Yeah, there’s not a good blend here, but still, you get a good idea of what this is all about.

No comments: