My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #212

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 2 trombones and tuba

Writing this piece was an odd experience. From the second I started it until I’d almost finished it, I just hated the bejeezus out of it. For three hours and twenty minutes of the three and a half hours that it took me to complete it, I loathed it all the way till next Sunday. My initial intention was to write a bouree, which is (according to Wikipedia) a quick double-time baroque-era dance that employs an eighth note pickup. OK, it’s not a very specific map to success. Minutes after I began it, the plan went out the window and I was just trying like hell not to write something crappy. As I mentioned, that was severely in doubt for a long time. But I tweaked a few things and threw in a few odd moments and this is how it turned out. It’s pretty basic, form-wise – it’s just (not a very good) intro ABA and that’s all she wrote. The reason why it’s so short is that I didn’t want to write any more than was absolutely necessary. OK, so I’m still not crazy about it. In fact, I don’t like it much, but compared to how I was feeling about it as I was writing it, I’m happy that a hopeless situation turned into an adequate one.

No comments: