My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #227

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet and trombone.

This is a pleasant little invention that tries to inject a little counterpoint into the conversation. I didn’t especially want to write a fugue, but I wanted to make it sound like one, so what happens is that the subject (the A theme, which is pretty much the only theme here) gets put through a great many permutations in the trumpet and horn. At first you get the entire tune, but later it’s broken up into melodic chunks that get passed around. The trombone is there to support the harmony, not to advance the melodic development. For a non-fugue, it works well. It’s got some spirit to it and is very clear in its intent. It has me thinking about writing a canon. That's something I haven’t quite done yet.

No comments: