My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #166

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet, 1 trombone and tuba.

I wanted to write a Latin piece with lots of diminished chords. This is it. It’s a little stark, but that’s a good thing, especially if you’ve got a small ensemble on your hands. Doing this sort of thing with a large orchestra usually sounds very lame – unless, of course, you’re Stravinsky or Milhaud. Those guys could make any harebrained idea sound good. So I opted for small for my harebrained idea and here it is. Just keep in mind that there won’t be many chord resolutions in this one, as a series of diminished chords don’t really resolve toward anything – they merely create restlessness. OK, so I warned you. Enjoy!

No comments: