My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #237

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 3 trombones and tuba.

This is supposed to be an improvement over #236. In some ways it is; but it kind of fails. OK, so the improvements I like are the intro and the outro, and I fiddle with the tonality when the A theme interjects itself between the C theme phrases. I think those elements work better. I also introduced a D theme in the trombones. I don’t like that much. I was trying to convey a 3/4 feeling and it doesn’t work at all. If anything, it stalls the action and doesn’t add anything to the piece. Here I was thinking that there wasn’t enough thematic material and now it seems like I have too much. Overall, this version is no better than #236. When it was finished, I thought I’d walk away from it, but the more I listened to it, the more it bothered me.

No comments: