My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #236

For 2 horns, 1 trumpet, 3 trombones and tuba.

OK, this is the first in a series of three. I’m sorry to pull a thing like this so late in the game, but needed some major overhauls, because the concept was really good, but the execution was, well, not that great at the onset. What I intended here was for two different feels to happen at the same time and for both of them to come out in the mix. First off, there is the regular ol’ oom-pah feel from the tuba and first two trombones. The other feel comes in the form of quarter-note triplets (also dealing out the oom-pah) in the bass trombone and horns. The trumpet has the initial tune, which is in AABA form. During the B section, it assumes the triplet feel. The horn takes the C theme, which is interrupted by the A theme (which comes back in a different key) several times. This was my way of monkeying with the form. It doesn’t work that well, as it sounds like competing movie themes. This is probably because the two themes don’t blend that well. After that episode, the A theme returns and we’re done – kind of abruptly. It’s a pretty good start, though I don’t like the intro, the middle section doesn’t work and it’s over much too quickly. I figured that it was a good start, but that it could be better. That’s why there are two more versions. Enjoy them all!

No comments: