My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #10

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones and tuba.

This is a pleasant little semi-canon that I tried hard to keep in E minor. Unfortunately, I was applying jazz theory and setting it in E dorian mode (with two sharps, instead of the usual single sharp), so it only wanted to resolve to D major. Stupid harmony! Really, I tried everything to give some kind of finality to the E minor, but it was hopeless. Oh well, live and learn. At least I got to throw in some counterpoint. You might recall that I initially had a few problems integrating horns into the ensemble. They seem to be diminishing. That doesn't mean that I won't be writing bad horn parts in the future. It only means that they'll bad horn parts that fit well into the ensemble.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: