My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #11

For 1 horn, 1 trumpet and 1 trombone.

I wanted to have the trumpet follow under the horn without asking for anything unrealistic from either player. The result sounds pretty strange – and busy. Strange and busy. It's not the most inspirational piece in the world, but I'm still figuring out a lot of stuff about the brass ensemble. Playing around with timbre is just one way of getting my head into the game. There are other basic things to keep in mind at the same time, such as, remembering that brass players have to breathe and that you can't write anything super-fast for trombone. These things are easy to forget if you're in the middle of a piece, need a lot of continuous notes and don't keep track of who breathes where OR if you think it would be really cool to have the trombones play a lot of sixty-fourth notes in unison just for fun. This piece pays heed to those basic limitations. And what's more, no trombones were harmed in its making.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: