My photo
Belltown/Seattle, Washington, United States
I'm a guy who used to write lots and lots of music. My lack of success became a little troubling, so now I write about Belltown and photograph squirrels. You got a problem with that?

One Day Wonder #9

For 2 horns, 2 trumpets, 2 horns and 3 trombones.

This is a pretty square-sounding samba. It's probably due to the lack of a tuba to bind things together. But I did manage to sneak in a rhythm bridge (as in "I Got Rhythm," the second most popular generic chord progression in jazz; its basic form, which is what I use here, goes III7-VI7-II7-V7) for a little harmonic lift. Later on, I go modal all over the place. It doesn't add a whole lot to the piece, besides making it sound a little less square. I don't like this piece very much, but it was a noble little experiment. I won't repeat it in the future unless I have a better plan. Or a tuba.

Click on the title to listen.

No comments: